Sunday 11 August 2013

success, and not-so-much

Success: I managed to work out what size hook I need for the cotton thread in Mum's prehistoric crochet stuff, by looking on ravelry - yay! and I've ordered the hook (I figure at less that £4 - just! - it doesn't break my no-spending-money-on-knitting-or-crochet-til-after-first-payday rule, especially as the thread is free!).

Not-so-much: I'm bo-red with all my WIP's, so I've spent all day faffing about sorting my 'stash' and trawling ravelry for ideas. My 'stash' consists of lots of Bergere de France wool that I was getting through a subscription to Knit&Stitch, which I've cancelled. I've sorted it into weights/thicknesses, which is a big help, the most I've got is chunky/aran weight stuff. And I remembered a pattern I've been wanting to try of a crochet shell stitch baby blanket. I'm a bit wary of baby blankets - what the hell am I going to do with a collection of baby blankets? But I really wanted to try the shell stitch. 
I did a practice swatch, thank heavens, because although some of the wool is 'normal'; some of it is fluffy, which it transpires is pure hell to crochet and even worse to unpick!! And it doesn't look fabulous in shell stitch. There's also some stuff called 'Pompons' which has lumpy bits of foam sticking out of it - the texture put my teeth on edge, it's like polystyrene - ugh! And it looks horrid in shell stitch. 
During all this unpleasantness I worked out that I don't have enough wool for the baby blanket (my wool-maths is really bad/slow) and I really really don't want to end up with a UFO baby blanket. 
So, project cancelled. Day mostly wasted. The normal DK wool I will use for granny squares, the fluffy stuff I might use for jewellery or decorations, the polystyrene stuff is going, I'm not sure where, but it's going. Is there a Big Stash in the Sky for wool nobody could love, I wonder?


-x-

No comments: