Friday 2 August 2013

Granny Squares

Yesterday I taught myself granny squares. With HUGE thanks to Little Tin Bird for the basic pattern, and Bunny Mummy for how to join a new colour.

The first square was easy peasy:



The second one, not so much!

Then I sat in the Vicarage garden in the ridiculous heat, listened to TMS, and crocheted granny squares!












My original plan to photograph every square as I finish it is clearly going to be overload so I'm not going to do it any more ;)

I woke up this morning with a head full of "and I could ..." ideas for other things to do with granny squares. I've already seen 2 other patterns, Bunny Mummy doesn't put chain stitches down the sides of her squares, so they're a bit more solid, and Little Tin Bird has patterns for a solid granny square and other variations AND I've been thinking that 3 colours + 3 rounds /  square is a bit dull and maybe I could try 6 rounds, or more colours (I've got other accrued, acrylic DK in my knitting box) or ... !

(gasps for breath)

I am reminded of when I started knitting and suffered, quite soon after, from eyes-bigger-than-hands/needles/bankaccount syndrome. I had to learn restraint, and to make myself finish 1 project before moving on to the next. If I don't carry on with the squares I've started & finish them, I'll end up with another box full of WIPs & UFOs.
Ooh, I could use the other DK to join all the silly little squares together.

I might try one 6 rounder, just to see what it looks like ...

-x-


No comments: